Some fabulous top tips on sorting your wardrobe out from Katherine B ...
I have told you about my friend and stylist Katherine B before, I had a great wardrobe declutter with her back in the autumn so I have asked her to write a guest blog for me today to share her top tips with you for having a wardrobe sort out.
Katherine says ...
There is no better time than now to share with you my top tips for successful wardrobe planning.
This is for anyone who flings open her wardrobe doors each morning and feels complete and utter overwhelm about what to wear. It is SO true that we tend to stick with the same 20% because we simply don’t have the headspace or confidence to know what to do with the other 80%.
So, after using my knowledge, training and much sweat and tears… here are my quick and easy wardrobe solutions:
TIME – set side two half days (preferably consecutive) and commit to sorting your wardrobe out once and for all. The time you invest now will save you time in the future along with money and heartache too.
KNOW YOUR STYLE – get really clear on what you love and the end result you are working towards. The clearer the better. I recommend setting up a Pinterest account and getting inspiration from here. I honestly use it every time my brain is over loaded and I need quick outfit ideas.
KNOW YOUR SHAPE – pick out your absolute favourite outfit and use this as a blueprint. Forget trying to make anything work if you know honestly that it doesn’t. Even if you stick with a “one golden rule” approach (such as: “I will only wear v neck tops as they flatter me the most”) you will nail it every single time.
SIFT NUMBER 1 – Get rid of anything that you don’t like or doesn’t fit or is damaged/past its best. Be ruthless. You don’t need it.
SIFT NUMBER 2 - Remove anything that you are not going to wear over the next 2/3 months (i.e. obvious summer or winter items)
SIFT NUMBER 3 – set to one side anything you don’t know what to wear with/aren’t sure about/haven’t worn in the last 2 years
COLOUR COMBINATIONS – decide on your colour palette for the season. Far from narrowing your options – trust me, it not only expands your choices but makes getting dressed each morning SO easy – everything will coordinate. I would advise going for 5 colours only plus an accent colour for accessories/bags/footwear.
For example, my colour capsule for this Spring/Summer is:
Silver or tan accessories
The key to this is EITHER 3 neutrals (as I have gone for) and 2 accents OR 2 neutrals and 3 accents
TRY IT ON – this is the only way to know how it looks so you can confidently select it in the morning frenzy. If it doesn’t fit then remove – either permanently or temporarily
STYLE FOR YOUR LIFE – think about how you spend your days and what events you have coming up over the coming weeks. Do you have these covered or are there gaps to be filled? Is your wardrobe heavy on casual items but short on dressier options? Or vice versa? Or do you have a huge collection of black trousers/black tops/Breton striped t shirts …. Concentrate on what you are missing
SHOP WISELY – if you have followed the above, you will be organised and ready to shop with confidence and with a clear plan. Endless shopping trips where you buy random items will lead to a random wardrobe and that is a total mind boggler when it comes to getting dressed. Don’t buy anything that is a duplication of what you already own. It is all about narrowing your options to end up with more choice …trust me it works!
I recommend doing the same for your accessories too. Most of us have too many scarves and shoes and bags -but not actually ones that we really love.
Be ruthless in order to be kind to yourself - no one needs that feeling of despair when faced with a wardrobe crammed with “stuff” and no idea of what to wear …..
You can find more details about Katherine B on her website here or sign up for her Facebook page where she posts lots of daily or weekly wardrobe tips. Katherine also sells a range of fabulous clothes from Captain Tortue - take a look at the website and if you like anything get in touch with Katherine at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I have already started my wardrobe sort out so I will be spending a bit more time over the Easter weekend following Katherine's tips and I will share with you next week how I got on and some more tips from me!
Let me know how you get on!
Hi, I’m Michelle and my blog Fifty & Fab is all about my journey into and through my fifties. I share style tips, health and fitness inspiration, I talk about my holidays and days out and I tell you about my beauty regime and my lifestyle. I hope you might pick up a tip or two and get some inspiration!
Use my hashtag on Instagram #beingfiftyandfab
I’d love to see what you are doing and with your permission, share some of your images.
Join my mailing list for regular updates and don’t forget to look at my social media pages too..
Subscribe to receive regular blog updates by email: